Development of Science Education and Scientific Research Capacity
Are you passionate about making a difference in society? Would you like to help improve STEM education at all levels in developing countries? If so, this may be an excellent opportunity for you.
The Society for Scientific Advancement (SoSA) is a 501(c)3 non-profit that is now accepting applications for its Internship Program. This is a dynamic program for undergraduate students who are interested in contributing to the development of science education and scientific research in developing countries. As many solutions to our world’s problems arise from scientific developments, the focus is on developing STEM education and opportunities as a means to enact social change. Our area of focus is underserved, emerging and rural communities and institutions in the Caribbean. This opportunity is open to sophomores to seniors including those of all majors, with a strong commitment to improving basic and advanced education in developing countries.
Benefits of the Internship
- Learn finance and fundraising for non-profit/community benefit organizations: preparation of grant applications; crowdsourcing; other means of financing.
- Contribute to program development: organization of programs including outreach activities, workshops, conferences and networking mixers. Programs will target elementary school students, high school students, university students, researchers and faculty as well as the wider scientific and business communities.
- Development of leadership skills: Interns will be mentored in the specific areas to enable skill development for impacting social change through our programs.
- Building your network through interactions with SoSA membership, the Board of Directors and the Advisory Board, the mainstream media and other professionals.
- 3-5 day travel experience to the Caribbean program location.
- Activity location: Multiple including remote locations; Triangle area, NC; and Orlando, FL.
An undergraduate student with a strong interest in using creative mechanisms to enact social change. An individual who is motivated to develop resources in underdeveloped regions, and committed to community development primarily in low-income regions. Must be self-motivated with a positive attitude, and flexible to adjust to the requirements of a growing organization. All majors will be considered including science, management, marketing and public relations, and communications/journalism.
- Undergraduate student (sophomore – senior).
- Oral and written communication skills with the ability to utilize Microsoft Office for the preparation of documents. Social media savvy is a plus.
- Well organized with attention to detail and ability to carry out tasks independently.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Must be able to commit to internship periods I (Summer), II (Fall or Spring Semester) or III (Full Year).
How to Apply
Required application materials (detailed below) are to be sent to email@example.com with ‘SoSA INTERNSHIP‘ as the subject line.
1) Résumé or CV.
2) A personal statement of no more than 500 words on why you should be offered the internship position.
3) Contact information for 2 professional references.
This is a rolling deadline and we accept applications throughout the year. This is an unpaid internship opportunity.